35 Classic Fast Food Restaurants That No Longer Exist

The places we went and the food we ate as a child have created some of our strongest memories. Who could forget the excitement as a child of heading out to your favorite burger joint or getting treated to some guilty-pleasure fast food? If you haven’t noticed, a lot of once-huge restaurants from the past aren’t around anymore. The places that are around nowadays can’t replace the restaurants we had grown to know and love. Businesses may come and go but the following will never be forgotten. Read on to take a walk down memory lane and rediscover some restaurants that are no longer around.

1. Howard Johnson’s

During the heyday of Howard Johnson’s, sometimes lovingly just referred to as HoJo’s, there were over 1,000 locations nationwide. In fact, it was the largest chain of restaurants during the 1960s and 1970s. The chain of restaurants was known for its iconic buildings, including orange roofs, peaks and weather vanes.

Howard Johnson restaurants quickly started to fall behind its competitors in the fast food business, and its dinner-style restaurants didn’t leave much room for innovation and financial efficiency. “The downfall of Howard Johnson’s was ultimately their competitors. Friendly’s had their ice cream, KFC was all about fried chicken, and in comparison, HoJo’s was just too basic,” one critic stated.

2. Red Barn

The Red Barn restaurant was known for its, well, red barns. The locations looked like barns and the exterior walls were painted red. The design proved popular, seeing as customers could never mistake the Red Barn for any other restaurant in the game.

During the Red Barn’s prime, it had over 400 locations in the US and abroad. There is currently only one location left in Racine, Wisconsin, though its name is now The Farm. Read on to find out what other defunct restaurant chains are no longer around.

3. Beefsteak Charlie’s

Beefsteak Charlie’s was a chain of restaurants that started in Manhattan and grew to fame in the 1910s. They just loved to spoil their customers — maybe a little too much so, seeing as it became one of the reasons they couldn’t pull a profit.

The chain’s slogan was “You’re gonna get spoiled” and that is what they stuck to. The now-defunct restaurant offered all you can eat shrimps and salad, as well as alcoholic beverages such as beer, wine and sangria. Unfortunately, all the unlimited booze hit Beefsteak Charlie’s right where they hurt: in the wallet and by 2010, all locations had closed.

4. Lum’s

The family restaurant Lum’s was opened in Miami Beach in 1956 as a hot dog stand then slowly grew. By 1961 they had four locations. They were best known for their beer-steamed hotdogs. Then they rapidly expanded their business.

By the year 1969 Lum’s had over 400 company-owned or franchised restaurants, including in Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Europe. The company, however, overextended their reach and ended up filing for bankruptcy. All of the original stores closed by 1982.

5. Minnie Pearl’s Chicken

Minnie Pearl’s Chicken was a line of fast food chicken restaurants established to compete with KFC. The venture was co-founded along with entrepreneur John Jay Hooker and the famous country singer Minnie Pearl allowed them to use her name. Initial estimates calculated huge success in the chicken business.

6. White Tower

Along with the success of White Castle, came imitators. White Castle was founded in 1921, then in 1922 along came White Tower. You might be thinking, “oh, they just have white in the name,” but that wasn’t all they took from White Castle.

The fast food restaurant chain White Tower took just about everything except the kitchen sink. And that was nailed down. No, White Tower took the menu, the style, the advertising methods and even the building architecture. So, pretty much everything. There were 230 locations in the 1950s, but many closed due to legal action against them. The very last location closed in 2004.

7. Isaly’s

Isaly’s was founded way back in the 19th century and they certainly left their mark on American history. Not only was the restaurant known for its chipped chopped ham, it was also famous for inventing the Klondike Bar. Wow!

The name of the restaurants was named after the founder, but in advertisements, it stood for “I Shall Always Love You Sweetheart.” In the later years the company was sold off a few times until it slowly it died out, along with the good ol’ days.

8. Henry’s Hamburgers

Henry’s Hamburgers was opened by an ice cream company to expand on their shakes and malts. Henry’s was modeled after McDonald’s, even though they were a competitor at the time. They offered ten hamburgers for as low as a dollar.

Henry’s Hamburgers was big during the 1960s but started to decline in the 1970s. Their main issue was that they just couldn’t compete with their other fast food competitors. Henry’s didn’t have a drive-in and also didn’t diversify their menu. There is only one location left in Benton Harbor, MI.

9. Horn & Hardart

Horn & Hardart stands out from the rest of the restaurants on this list being that they weren’t just restaurants. They were automated fast food joints, known as “automats”. At this restaurant you could purchase prepared food from behind a glass window, kind of like a giant vending machine.

You just needed to insert the proper amount of coins in the machine and pull a lever to take out the freshly-made food. Sadly the last location closed in 1991. However, similar automat restaurants exist today in other parts of the world, like Europe and Japan.

10. Burger Chef

Burger Chef was a chain of hamburger restaurants founded by General Electric in Indianapolis in 1954. At its peak it had over 1,200 locations nationwide. So what happened to Burger Chef? Well, let’s just say that their biggest competitor was McDonalds…

The fast food chain ended up over expanding in locations and declining in quality, eventually losing out to McDonalds. The chain was then sold off to General Foods and then sold off again. Most of the locations were eventually turned into Hardee’s

You might also like these old photos of people eating ice cream!

Amazing Photos of Los Angeles Aqueduct in Elsmere Canyon

The Los Angeles Aqueduct was started in 1908 and finished in 1913 at a cost of about $23 million. It diverts eastern Sierra mountain streams from the Owens Valley to reservoirs in the Los Angeles area. When it was completed, the Los Angeles Aqueduct was the largest single water project in the world.

The elevation at the aqueduct intake is about 3800 feet and the elevation at the Upper Van Norman Reservoir (now Lake) is about 1200 feet. Thus, the water would almost always be flowing downhill allowing gravity to power its entire 233 mile length. However, in order to flow through valleys, it would have to travel uphill. To accomplish this, the water was contained in steel pipes above ground or concrete pipes below ground. The pressure developed in the down slope forces (siphons) the water through the up slope. The aqueduct is underground in Whitney and Elsmere Canyons.

In Elsmere Canyon, construction took place in 1911 and 1912. The section of the aqueduct through Whitney and Elsmere Canyons is noteworthy for its use of concrete in the siphon rather than the more usual riveted steel construction. The Elsmere siphon connects Tunnel 103 (from Whitney Canyon) to Tunnel 104, which empties out at the “cascades” in the northern San Fernando Valley. Tunnel 104 was actually completed in 1910.

From the Sixth Annual Report of the Bureau of the Los Angeles Aqueduct (July 1911):
“The Elsmere Siphon of reinforced concrete, connecting Tunnels 103 and 104, has been completed. It is 548 feet long, 10 feet in diameter, and will operate under a maximum head of 45 feet. This siphon has not yet been filled with water, as it is desirable to give the concrete two months to age before putting it to the test.

Tunnel 104, which is 9,172 feet in length, passing through the crest of the Santa Susanna Mountains near Newhall and through the Newhall oil field, was considered a very difficult piece of work, many adverse conditions such as water, gas, oil and swelling ground being encountered, but despite these obstacles, the work was completed within the estimated cost, and during the progress of the excavation, there was not a single accident that necessitated the removal of the victim to the hospital.

The Whitney Siphon is a reinforced concrete pipe 10 feet in diameter, with an 8-in shell on the top and sides, and rests on a broad concrete base. The pipe was cast in position. The reinforcing steel consists of half-inch circular iron rods so spaced as to give a factor of safety of four on the steel. It is probable, however, that the concrete alone has sufficient strength to resist the bursting pressure, as the mixture was made very rich to obtain both watertightness and strength. Two expansion joints were put in this pipe. They are of the “Z” type and coated with asphalt paint. The only apparent leakage that has occurred at any place in the pipe is at one of these joints. In the Elsmere Siphon, which was built subsequently, no expansion joints were used. As far as known, in diameter these are the largest reinforced concrete pipes in the United States, but larger ones have been built in Spain.”

The historic pictures (which are NOT in the public domain and are used by permission) were taken by Joseph Barlow Lippincott, an assistant chief engineer for the project. The chief engineer was William Mulholland.

More aqueduct information can be found at the Story of the Los Angeles Aqueduct website and on my Whitney Canyon aqueduct webpage.

Title: "Elsmere siphon, looking north" (1911). The next canyon over is Whitney Canyon. Source: Lippincott Collection, Water Resources Center Archives - University of California, Berkeley Copyright Note: This image is not in the public domain and is protected by the copyright laws of the United States. Used by permission of the University of California, Berkeley, Regents.
Title: “Elsmere siphon, looking north” (1911). The next canyon over is Whitney Canyon. Source: Lippincott Collection, Water Resources Center Archives – University of California, Berkeley Copyright Note: This image is not in the public domain and is protected by the copyright laws of the United States. Used by permission of the University of California, Berkeley, Regents.
Title: "Elsmere siphon showing blow-off trench" (1912) Looking west toward mouth of Elsmere Canyon. Blow-off trench in background. A blow-off valve was probably installed at the lowest part of the siphon to allow the water to be drained out if necessary. Source: Lippincott Collection, Water Resources Center Archives - University of California, Berkeley Copyright Note: This image is not in the public domain and is protected by the copyright laws of the United States. Used by permission of the University of California, Berkeley, Regents.
Title: “Elsmere siphon showing blow-off trench” (1912) Looking west toward mouth of Elsmere Canyon. Blow-off trench in background. A blow-off valve was probably installed at the lowest part of the siphon to allow the water to be drained out if necessary. Source: Lippincott Collection, Water Resources Center Archives – University of California, Berkeley Copyright Note: This image is not in the public domain and is protected by the copyright laws of the United States. Used by permission of the University of California, Berkeley, Regents.
Title: "Elsmere siphon, looking south" (1912) Source: Lippincott Collection, Water Resources Center Archives - University of California, Berkeley Copyright Note: This image is not in the public domain and is protected by the copyright laws of the United States. Used by permission of the University of California, Berkeley, Regents
Title: “Elsmere siphon, looking south” (1912) Source: Lippincott Collection, Water Resources Center Archives – University of California, Berkeley Copyright Note: This image is not in the public domain and is protected by the copyright laws of the United States. Used by permission of the University of California, Berkeley, Regents
The rains of 2010/11 have now exposed the top of the aqueduct. This can not be a good thing (4/21/11)
The rains of 2010/11 have now exposed the top of the aqueduct. This can not be a good thing (4/21/11)
Here is an oil/water separator diagram from an EPA fact sheet. Although not specifically for this type of application, it must be what is basically happening in the three tanks.
Here is an oil/water separator diagram from an EPA fact sheet. Although not specifically for this type of application, it must be what is basically happening in the three tanks.
In 2008, the DWP discovered that the legal easement for the strip of land in Elsmere Canyon that the aqueduct passed under was not correct. In June, of that year the DWP put up the above survey markers to get that problem fixed. They also wanted to purchase the land in the canyon (and some in Whitney Canyon) where the aqueduct where the aqueduct was to make it easier for them to repair the aqueduct. The MRCA refused to sell them any land, but would allow them the necessary room to do the work they need to do on the aqueduct. The DWP planned to remove the berm on the south side of the creek that has been obstructing the natural flow of the creek. Then they would remove the overburden from the part of the aqueduct in the creek bed and put some sort of support on the sides and top so that the aqueduct would not have to bear any weight. After that, they would restore the creek bed to its natural state. The final work would be done on the south face facing the San Fernando Valley where the aqueduct goes into the tunnel. The aqueduct would be realigned to make it easier for the DWP to get their equipment into the tunnel for any maintenance work. As of 2015, no work has been done so I would think that this project was killed.




(via Los Angeles Aqueduct)

15 Fascinating Vintage Panoramic Pictures

This exhibit of panoramic photographs is but a small sample of the wide variety of panoramic images in NARA`s still picture holdings located at the National Archives Building at College Park, Maryland. The exhibit photographs date from approximately 1864 until 1937. The vast majority of the collection, however, dates from the World War. This exhibit is based on the exhibit, “The Long View: Panoramic Photography from the National Archives,” which was displayed at the National Archives at College Park from August 15, 1998 through May 1, 2000.

 

“The Town Square, Arras, France. February, 1919″ This panorama was taken by Fred Schutz of Washington, DC, who was commissioned after World War I to photograph some of the war`s destruction and impact, especially in northern France. The Still Picture Branch has approximately 30 of these views in its holdings. The image may have been taken with a #8 Cirkut, for the image measures 26″ x 8”.

 

Panoramic view of the Barcelona Exposition, Spain. 1929 The International Industrial Exposition was held in Barcelona from May to December of 1929. The U.S. Government did not have an official presence there, choosing instead the Ibero American Exposition being held in Seville that same year. However, American businesses were present in full force at Barcelona, and the Commerce Department aided with their affairs on site. The photographer and exact date are not specified. The print measures 9″ x 38″.

 

“Co. H, 347th Inf., Capt. T. R. Mobley Com`d`g. Am. Expeditionary Force. Camp Dix, New Jersey. January 1919″ This photograph was shot by F. C. Lewis of Mount Holly, NJ, and shows unusual creative skill in its composition. It measures 38″ x 8”.

 

View of soldiers from the 331st Machine Gun Battalion performing exercises at Camp Grant in Rockford, Illinois This panorama was taken by the Duce & McClymonds Studio of Rockford, IL. The date was November 1917, not long before these soldiers pictured were sent off to fight in World War I. It measures 28″ x 10″. Records of the War Department General and Special Staffs – Panoramic Views of Army Units, Camps, and Related Industrial Sites (165-PP-69-9)
“Camp Meigs, Washington, DC. July 20, 1918.” Named in honor of the Union Quartermaster General from the Civil War, Camp Meigs was located at Florida Avenue and Fifth Street, NE, and was used as a training facility for the Quartermaster Corps during World War I. The photo is by H.M. Brown of Washington, DC, and measures 9″ x 44″. Records of the War Department General and Special Staffs

 

View of Chattanooga, Tennessee from hilltop The photographer and date are unknown, though it was probably taken after the Union Army captured the city in 1864. This is a composite panorama pieced together from three separate images to give a panoramic effect. It is printed on albumen paper. The entire size of the image is 39″ x 10″. Records of the Office of the Chief of Engineers

 

“Civilian Guards of the National Shipyard; Orange, Texas.” Orange lies on the Sabine River near the Louisiana border. During the World War I era, many wooden-hulled ships were produced there as part of the Emergency Fleet Corporation`s (EFC) mandate to equip the U.S. with a first-rate merchant fleet. The guards pictured were probably contracted by the National Shipbuilding Company to provide security for the area. The photographer and date are not specified. The image is 7″ x 22″. Records of the United States Shipping Board

 

View of Havana harbor, Cuba, with vessels of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet in the distance The photograph was taken by C. E. Doty. His studio location is unspecified as is the date, though it was probably the early 1910s. The image measures 52″ x 10″. Records of the War Department General and Special Staffs – Panoramic Photographs of Cuba

 

“Boat Exercises – Naval Training Station, Hampton Roads, Va. September 19, 1918″ Begun as a small training and receiving station in the early 1900`s, the Naval Training Station in World War I would become one of the premier training centers for naval personnel. By Armistice Day in 1918, more than 34,000 men had been assigned there. The photo was taken by G. L. Hall Optical Company of Norfolk. It measures 7 x 57”. Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel

 

Ground-level view of the (Mardi ?) excavation, looking south, during the initial construction of the Panama Canal The photographer and date are unknown, but other images from this series, showing similar views, date from around 1909. The image measures 36″ x 10″. Records of the Panama Canal

 

“President Harding and the National Academy of Sciences at the White House, Washington, DC, April 1921″ Note that Albert Einstein is standing to the left of the President. This group shot was taken by Fred Scut of Washington, DC, one of the most prolific of panoramic photographers. The print size is 38″ x 10”. Records of the Office of the Secretary of Agriculture
Shipbuilders at the Gray`s Harbor Yards of the Grant-Smith-Porter Co., Aberdeen, WA Wooden-hulled vessels for the Emergency Fleet Corporation were constructed here at the Gray`s Harbor Yards in the late 1910s. The ship near completion is the Fort Seward, which was first launched in early 1919, dating the photograph. This panorama measures 7″ x 25″. No photographer was specified. Records of the United States Shipping Board

 

“View of Washington. Looking East from Washington Monument” (Top) This panorama is dated November 1916 and was taken by the H. W. Brown of Washington, DC. The image could not have been taken with a rotating panoramic camera from inside the monument, so it has been theorized that Mr. Brown was on scaffolding on the outside. This scaffolding had presumably been erected because cleaning or repair work was being performed on the Monument. The image measures 36″ x 10″. Records of St. Elizabeth`s Hospital (418-P) Below the Brown photograph is a comparison photograph taken by Richard Schneider of NARA`s Preservation Branch in January 1996. It was shot through the window on the observation level using a fixed lens camera producing a panoramic effect. It shows some of the many changes that have occurred on the Mall during the past 83 years. The Monument is scheduled for another cleaning and repair work before the end of this century, creating an opportunity for modern Cirkut shots of DC from this vantage point.

 

“White Trucks in Service at Fort Riley” The White Sewing Machine Company, as it was originally called, manufactured the Standard Class “A” Truck for the U.S. Army during World War I. Trucks bearing the White/GMC name are still being manufactured by the General Motors Corporation. Though not dated, the image is undoubtedly from 1917-1918. The photo was taken by O. M. Holt of Manhattan, KS, and measures 7″ x 63″. Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General

 

“Wreck of the U.S.S. Maine, June 16, 1911″ The photograph shows the raising and salvage operation of the ship, 13 years after it sank. After the salvage operation was completed, the ship was resunk offshore. The image was taken by the American Photograph Company of Havana, Cuba, and measures 34″ x 9”. Records of the Office of the Chief of Engineers

9 Amazing Color Photos of New York Taken From Air At Night

Amazing arial photos of New York at night that will leave you breathless!

For 15 years, Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer Vincent Laforet has been participating in aerial photo missions around the world, putting his life in the hands of pilots and aircraft to make photographs nobody else can.

And yet, he’s never felt as vulnerable as he did on Nov. 8, 2014, harnessed into a helicopter 7,500-feet above New York City.
On assignment for Men’s Health, Laforet proposed the daring nighttime photo mission as a means to capture images he’s been dreaming of taking for 20 years.

“Everyone looks out the window when you land over New York, right? Because it’s so freaking beautiful,” Laforet tells Mashable. From above, the city at night has always reminded him of brain synapses or a computer chip.

Laforet has amassed connections with highly skilled pilots throughout his career, but he says that it took a week to get clearance for the shoot. The helicopter had to fly at a higher altitude than the planes taking off from and landing at airports in the area.

“One of the veteran pilots who flies with me — that’s comfortable flying 50 feet off the water and flying underneath the Brooklyn Bridge — actually refused to fly these altitudes,” says Laforet. “He just says helicopters aren’t meant to be up there.”

Laforet and his assistant, who accompanied him on the flight, had to take several precautions to ensure nothing would fall out of the aircraft, particularly themselves.

“Anything that falls out, especially at that altitude, becomes a projectile,” he says. “I want to make sure that people understand this is a very careful thing that you do with the right people, the right pilots.”

Of course, the high winds and vibration at two kilometers off the ground had even Laforet — a man who once climbed the needle of the Empire State building unharnessed — fearing for his safety.

“You’re relying on that turbine. Its not a plane, its not going to glide down, you know?,” says Laforet, laughing. “The scariest part was how absolutely vulnerable you felt once you’re up there.”

Wearing a harness, Laforet says he sat on the edge of the helicopter, leaning out of the open door to make sure the skid was out of frame.

“You cant help but look out and let your imagination run out a little bit and think about how long that fall would be,” he says. “I’ve been in some pretty crazy places and this is one of the few times where I’ve been like ‘Oof, wow.'”

You can check out more of Laforet’s images from his photo series entitled “Gotham 7.5K” on Storehouse, and get an idea of what the mission itself was like in a mini documentary on Vimeo.

(Via Mashable)

If you enjoyed these amazing arial photos of New York at night check out these 1940s Kodachrome images of New York City.

New York City’s Knickerbocker Hotel reopens more than a century after its debut

The Knickerbocker in New York City opens its doors to guests on Thursday, more than a century since John Jacob Astor IV built the hotel.

Designed in the Beaux-Arts style, “the Knick” first opened on Oct. 23, 1906, and the building has collected many anecdotes — like being the (rumored) birthplace of the original martini — in the years since.

At its opening in 1906, the hotel was marketed as having “prices within the reach of all.

Knickerbocker

“While the Knickerbocker has not exactly furnished itself with a motto, the manager and his assistants will tell you that they are running ‘a Fifth Avenue Hotel at Broadway prices,'” the New York Times wrote of the opening.

“Between the hours of 1 and 6 o’clock the fifteen-story structure on the southeast corner of Forty-second Street and Broadway was thronged with visitors,” the Times wrote. “The lobby, on the Forty-second Street side, was much admired by the host of visitors, and all paused to take a look at the representation of Father Knickerbocker in the entrance hall.”

Rates in 1906 averaged $3.25 a day, or about $78 in today’s dollars after adjusting for inflation, according to the Times. Unfortunately travelers are unlikely to come by a room at that price in 2015: Room rates on the Knickerbocker’s website start at $446.

When John Jacob died on the Titanic in 1912, his son Vincent took over, eventually closing the hotel in 1921. As for why he closed it, speculators have blamed either prohibition, or a lack of interest in (or ability to afford) elaborate accommodations.

Knickerbocker Hotel
The Knickerbocker Hotel, in New York City, c. 1909.

In the years afterward, the building changed ownership several times. It was converted to office buildings, and called “The Knickerbocker Building,” and housed Newsweek magazine from 1940 to 1959.

The Knickerbocker was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, and designated a New York City landmark in 1988. Landmark status brings with it certain protections for the exterior of the structure, which made the restoration complicated, according to the Knickerbocker’s managing director Jeff David.

David told Mashable that exterior details — like the copper lion heads around the rooftop terrace — were meticulously preserved while the interior was completely redone.

“We’re embracing the hotel’s original DNA, while simultaneously offering guests intuitive service and relevant luxury,” David said in a statement. “The Knickerbocker’s history is something that most luxury hotels cannot offer.”

Texas-based FelCor Lodging Trust, which purchased and funded the $240-million redevelopment of the Knickerbocker, owns more than 70 hotels in the U.S., according to the Wall Street Journal. The company originally planned to open the hotel in late 2013, later revising the date to 2015.

Longacre Square

A postcard of the intersection at 42nd Street and Broadway, which was known as Longacre Square before it was renamed Times Square in 1904.

Times Square has changed nearly beyond recognition since the hotel first opened. Whereas the 16-story structure used to stand out, it is now surrounded by high rises and is one of the few Beaux-Arts buildings left.

knick-2013

The Knickerbocker in New York City, on Nov. 7, 2013.

The original Knick welcomed “glitterati and dignitaries,” according to the hotel, and famous guests included F. Scott Fitzerald, who set a chapter of This Side of Paradise in the hotel bar; Italian operatic tenor Enrico Caruso, whose wife gave birth in one of the rooms; and John D. Rockefeller, who ordered those original martinis with his Wall Street friends.

There were 556 sleeping rooms and 400 baths in the original hotel, accommodating about 1,000 guests.

Knickerbocker Hotel
An undated photo of a room at the Knickerbocker Hotel, which originally opened in 1906, and reopened as a hotel on Feb. 12, 2015.

The newly-opened hotel will have 330 guestrooms, including 31 suites.

Knickerbocker Hotel
A newly-finished room at the Knickerbocker Hotel, which reopened Feb. 12, 2015.

Knickerbocker

Image: Mashable, Christina Ascani

For history buffs, there is one part of the Knickerbocker that unfortunately will not be re-opening: The sub-level ballroom, with a direct entrance from the subway platform.

Knickerbocker Hotel

A nondescript door in the 42nd street New York City subway station would lead to the Knickerbocker Hotel, if it were open.

When the hotel was built, the nascent subway was so exciting to John Jacob Astor IV he had a door — still visible today — installed to provide direct access to one of the early lines.

Knickerbocker Hotel

The “Knickerbocker” sign, at the 42nd street subway station in New York City.

The area behind the door — a corridor leading to the upper levels of the hotel — is owned by the MTA, which apparently isn’t interested in how much 21st century New Yorkers would be interested in a restored subway entrance.

Knickerbocker

The lower level of the Knickerbocker, c. 1909.

The former parlor was elaborately decorated in the hotel’s early years, but now sits in disrepair.

Knickerbocker Hotel

The lower level of the Knickerbocker Hotel in December 2014.

David expects the history of the hotel — with or without a refurbished subway parlor — to attract guests.

“By drawing inspiration from our past to create a lifestyle experience that is beyond typical luxury hotel amenities, The Knickerbocker will undoubtedly appeal to both local New Yorkers and international travelers,” he said.

(Via Mashable)

10 Vintage Photos of Old London Pubs

The Tiger, Prince Street Deptford London, SE8

These 10 vintage photos of old London Pubs show this important public institution at its quintessential best.

A pub, or public house, is an establishment licensed to sell alcoholic drinks, which traditionally include beer (such as ale) and cider. It is a relaxed, social drinking establishment and a prominent part of British, Irish, New Zealand, Canadian, South African and Australian cultures. In many places, especially in villages, a pub is the focal point of the community. In his 17th-century diary Samuel Pepys described the pub as “the heart of England”.

 

Rock of Gibraltar and the Globe Pubs Deptford SE8 Early 1900s
View of Evelyn Street, Deptford in the early 20th Century. Two pubs shown here, the Globe in its original form, the modern building can be seen here although it’s now a betting shop www.flickr.com/photos/matt1965/3185734237/in/album-721576… and on the left is the Rock of Gibraltar or Old Gibraltar. The Globe appears on the 1951 OS map but the site of the Gibraltar is empty, propbably another victim of the war time bombing.

 

Merry Cricketers, Deptford, SE8
276 Lower Road, Deptford, London, SE8.
Closed for many years, now a convenience store.

 

The Ship and Billet, Greenwich, London, SE10
The Ship and Billet pub, 1 Woolwich Road, Greenwich, London, SE10.
Still open and currently called the Duchess.
Chichester Arms, Deptford. 89 Evelyn Street, Deptford, London, SE8.
The Road layout in this area has changed completely since this pub existed. It’s shown on the 1895 ordinance survey map as being on the junction of Evelyn Street and Windmill Lane, now gone. It stood over the road from Scawen Road which does still exist. On the 1951 ordinance survey map the site is shown as empty which would indicate the pub suffered damage during the war.
The Old Mill, plumstead Common, London SE18.
The Old Mill, plumstead Common, London SE18., Circa 1905
Dog and Duck Rotherhithe SE16
Dog and Duck Rotherhithe SE16
Located on Commercial Dock Passage, it was destroyed by a V2 bomb on 31 October 1944.
The Tiger, Prince Street Deptford London, SE8
The Tiger, Prince Street Deptford London, SE8
The Tiger stood at 64 Prince Street. This old London pub can be dated to pre- 1933 when Hoare & Co were brought out by Carringtons. They stopped brewing on the 23rd June 1934.This pub is shown on an 1895 OS map but by 1951 it was gone and what looks like prefabs are shown on the map so it can be assumed it suffered from the bombing during the war and was demolished. It stood on the junction of Prince Street and modern Czar Street.

 

The Vulcan Brunswick Street, Poplar, London
The Vulcan Brunswick Street, Poplar, London
This picture of this old London pub can be dated to the early part of the 20th century. An OS map of 1895 shows that Bedford Street wasn’t connected to Brunswick Street (Not Brunswick Road which is also shown on the early maps). By 1916 Bedford road had been extended and by 1950 it had changed name to Ditchburn street, the name of which still exists today. The whole area was redeveloped and many of the roads have now vanished.

 

The Red Lion Borough High Street London SE1

The Red Lion Borough High Street London SE1
The Red Lion was on the corner of Great Suffolk Street and Borough High Street. This picture shows a completely different old London pub to the current building, renamed “Ruse” which I believe is now closed. strangely it appears the new building incorporates a couple of the old buildings windows.

The Vine Tavern
The Vine Tavern, a vanished East London landmark, circa 1890s.

(Via Flickr)

Vintage Photos Show Amazing Vancouver Neon Signs and Streets Scenes in 1950s

Man with Bandage
Self Portait 1961
Self Portait (Fred Herzog), 1961

These colorful photos show what Vancouver’s Upper East Side and downtown looked like in its’ glory days of the 1950’s.  The photographer captures a city basking in the glow of neon signs.

The Vancouver photographs of Fred Herzog are awash with vibrant color. They are complex, mysterious, exuberant, and full of life, much like the city he photographed. Fred Herzog was born in 1930 in Germany, and came to Vancouver in 1953. He was employed as a medical photographer by day, and on evenings and weekends he took his camera to the streets, documenting daily life as he observed it. Focusing his camera on storefronts, neon signs, billboards, cafes and crowds of people, he eloquently depicts the architecture of the street as a framework for human interaction, presenting a view of the city that is both critical and elegiac.

Though Fred Herzog has been making photographs for decades, his images of city life in Vancouver in the 1950’s and 1960’s have only recently been brought to a larger public. A major retrospective at the Vancouver Art Gallery in 2007 was a revelation to those who had known his work only through slides, as well as to a generation of art lovers who had not heard of him at all. Since he was never able to satisfactorily make prints from his slides, the recent possibilities of digital inkjet printing have enabled him to finally print and exhibit this important body of early color street photography.

FRED HERZOG IN THE NEW YORK TIMES MAGAZINE

“Herzog’s world — especially as revealed by the abundance of signs — is simultaneously covetous and quasi religious, sensual and unworldly. Gamblers at a fair or casino gaze beyond the frame in an ecstasy of optimism, keeping faith with the idea of an against-the-odds windfall (a.k.a. a miracle).

The relatively lengthy shutter speeds necessitated by Kodachrome — a slow, not very light-sensitive film — meant that Herzog was not only temperamentally unsuited but technically unable to snap events on the fly in the sly manner of Cartier-Bresson. Drama passed him by. He waited for time either to slow down or to come to a functional standstill. In lieu of the fast time of second hands and their snatched fractions, a strong sense of photographic history can be seen to converge on Herzog’s work.

Herzog, born in Germany in 1930, immigrated to Canada in 1952. Although he took some photographs in various places in the world, Vancouver remained his colorful stamping ground from the late 1950s onward. As with Leiter, the sense of a distinct and determining sensibility is enhanced by the relatively limited geographical frame of reference. Because the same bits of real estate crop up in multiple frames, a given view can be triangulated with other shots so that we are enclosed within an artist’s world. To look at Herzog’s work is to inhabit it.”

Hastings at Columbia, 1958
Hastings at Columbia, 1958

 

 

(via Equinox Gallery)

You might like these photos of Vintage neon signs from Hollywood’s Golden Era.

Stunning Colorized construction photos of 10 global landmarks

Colorized construction photos of 10 global landmarks. These 10 photographs, in monochrome and then reconstructed color, are taken from the forthcoming book The Paper Time Machine, a collaboration between Retronaut and Jordan Lloyd of Dynamichrome. The finished book will contain 130 reconstructed color historical photographs arranged chronologically, chosen and introduced by Retronaut.

Jul. 1888
Construction of the Eiffel Tower, Paris.
IMAGE: ROGER VIOLLET/GETTY
Jul. 1888
Jordan: “The original colour of the Eiffel Tower during its construction in 1888 was called ‘Venetian Red’ as shown in the photograph, applied in the workshop before being assembled on site. The tower has been repainted over a dozen times since, in different shades ranging from a reddish brown to bronze.”
IMAGE: ROGER VIOLLET/GETTY. COLOR RECONSTRUCTION BY DYNAMICHROME.
c. 1934
The Golden Gate Bridge under construction, San Francisco, California.
IMAGE: LIBRARY OF CONGRESS / CHAS. M. HILLER.
c. 1934
Jordan: “The base tower in the mid ground is rendered in a red lead primer from Bethlehem steel. That became the basis for consulting architect Irving Morrow’s studies to render the bridge in the now familiar International Orange, to increase its visibility to passing ships.”
IMAGE: LIBRARY OF CONGRESS / CHAS. M. HILLER.
c. 1935
Officials ride in one of the penstock pipes of the soon-to-be-completed Hoover Dam, Arizona.
IMAGE: BUREAU OF RECLAMATION
c. 1935
Jordan: “Conveying the officials in the photograph is a section of 30-foot diameter steel penstock pipe nearly three inches thick. Arizona’s geology in the background remains the same as it did back in 1935.”
c. 1889
Jordan: “The 11,000 tonnes of steelwork would be eventually clad in Portland Stone and Cheesewring granite from Cornwall, which can be seen at the base of the bridge. The numerous ships and skiffs lurking in the background are all sourced from contemporaneous paintings of the era.”
HERITAGE IMAGES/GETTY IMAGES. COLOR RECONSTRUCTION BY DYNAMICHROME.
c. 1889
Tower Bridge was begun in 1881 and opened in 1894, to designs by Sir Horace Jones. It was designed so that the central section could be raised to allow the passage of ships to and from the busy wharves of London.
May 31, 1932
Gutzon Borglum and supt. inspecting work on the face of Washington, Mt. Rushmore, South Dakota.
IMAGE: LIBARY OF CONGRESS
May 31, 1932
Jordan: “Contemporary references of the granite were used to help get the colour variation correct, and the object in the top left corner is part of the hand of the photographer.”
Apr. 1844
Nelson’s Column under Construction, Trafalgar Square, London. This image suggests industrious advances in the construction of the column. However, when Talbot took this photograph the building work had actually been halted while the government took over the project from the building committee whose funds had run out. Talbot invented the negative/positive process for making photographs between 1835 and 1839. Any number of prints could be made of a single image from the negative.
IMAGE: SSPL/GETTY IMAGES.
Apr. 1844
Jordan: “Taken at the very dawn of photographic technology, the resulting process gives the image a somewhat ghostly look as the long exposure blurs people walking down Trafalgar Square. The bold colours used in the advertising were sourced from real examples and paintings from the era.”

1880s
The bell-tower of the Sacre Coeur Basilica under construction on the Montmartre Hill in Paris.
IMAGE: KEYSTONE-FRANCE/GAMMA-KEYSTONE VIA GETTY IMAGES
1880s
Jordan: “Remarkably, many of the elements in the photograph still remain the same today, including the Réservoir de Montmartre and the Saint Pierre de Montmartre to the left of the Sacre Coeur, as well as the apartment blocks on Rue Maurice Utrillo on the right.”
1882
Workers build the Statue of Liberty inside French sculptor Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi’s workshop in Paris. The background shows the carved arm of the statue. At the back (right) are smaller models of the arm and the head.
IMAGE: ALBERT FERNIQUE/LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
1882
Jordan: “The stylised look of this workshop photograph is a result of the overexposed highlights and less mid tone definition. The huge ceiling openings provide ample light for the craftsmen to beat the copper skin over wooden and plaster formwork seen in the background.”
c. 1920
A view of a trilithon being re-erected during Lieutenant-Colonel Hawley’s excavations and renovations at Stone Henge in 1919 and 1920. The monument itself dates to circa 2000 B.C., although the site was in use much earlier than this.
GETTY IMAGES

c. 1920
Jordan: “The trilithons of Stonehenge are well documented and the site has hardly changed in the decades since the photograph was taken.”
COLOR RECONSTRUCTION BY DYNAMICHROME.

 

This is a modern interpretation of a craft that has existed since the dawn of photography. Originally, color was hand-painted on to prints by talented artisans.
JORDAN LLOYD, DYNAMICHROME 

 

c. 1942
Covered in bamboo scaffolding to disguise it from enemy bombers, the dome of the Taj Mahal, Agra, India, looks almost as if it is being built during WWII. Private First Class John C. Byrom, Jr., of Waco, Texas, trying to catch a goldfish in the marble-lined pool at the approach to the Taj Mahal. Observing are Corporal Anthony J. Scopelliti and Private First Class Ray Cherry.
IMAGE: LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
c 1942
Jordan: “The lack of shadows suggest an overcast day at the Taj Mahal, softening the pink cast of the marble.”
COLOR RECONSTRUCTION BY JORDAN LLOYD.

(Via Mashable)

If you enjoyed these colorized construction photos of 10 global landmarks you might also like these photos of New York’s Flat Iron Building.

18 Old Main Street Barber Shop Photos

The main street barber shop was a place to relax, get a great haircut and catch up on gossip.  These 18 vintage photos of old town barbershops bring back these happy memories!

Bivalve, New Jersey. Barber shop, October 1938. Rothstein, Arthur, 1915-1985, photographer
Photo shows eight women standing in front of a camp barber shop. Japanese-American camp, war emergency evacuation, 1942 or 1943.
Stores in center of mining town. The barber is also the Justice of Peace. Osage, West Virginia, 1938
Barber shop in Negro settlement on the outskirts of Washington, D.C.
“John Vachon, photographer. Published 1937 Sept.”
Barber shop in the Black Belt, Chicago, Illinois
Rosskam, Edwin, 1903-1985, photographer 1941 Apr.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Barber shop at 19th and Bainbridge Streets
“Vanderbilt, Paul, photographer 1937 Spring.
Barber shop on [Hillsboro] street. Oxford, Granville County, North Carolina
Marion Post Wolcott, photographer. Published 1939 Nov.
Barber shop in Negro quarter of Durham, North Carolina
“Delano, Jack, photographer Created / Published 1940 May.”
Union barber shop in mining town, Scotts Run, West Virginia
Marion Post Wolcott, photographer. Published 1938 Sept.”
Barber shop in village of Twig, Minnesota
“Lee, Russell, 1903-1986, photographer Created / Published 1937 Aug.”
Barber shop and pool hall. Berwyn, Maryland
“John Vachon, photographer. Published 1937 Sept.”
San Juan, Puerto Rico. A barber shop
Jack Delano, photographer. 1942
A barber shop in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania
Jack Delano, photographer. 1941 Jan. 
Barber and shop, South Omaha, Nebraska
“John Vachon, photographer. 1938 Nov.”
Bayamon, Puerto Rico. Barber shop
Jack Delano, photographer. 1941 Dec.
Klamath Falls, Oregon.A main street barber shop.
“Lee, Russell, 1903-1986, photographer 1942 July.”
A main street barber shop, Key West, Florida
“Rothstein, Arthur, 1915-1985, photographer 1938 Jan.”
Barber shop. Winton, Minnesota
“Lee, Russell, 1903-1986, photographer1937 Aug.”

30 Photos of Beautiful Abandoned Places and Ghost Towns

These beautiful abandoned places and ghost towns were photographed by American photographer Charles W. Cushman whose thousands of photographs are now held by the Indiana University Archives.  Most of these photos of abandoned builds and American ghosts towns were taken by him in the late 1950s and early 1960s.  They provided a living legacy of a past that has now long since disappeared.

Beautiful Abandoned Places and Ghost Towns

beautiful abandoned places and ghost towns
Old store building Bloomfield California, August 31, 1964.
beautiful abandoned places and ghost towns
Old house in Virginia City, September 29, 1962.
beautiful abandoned places and ghost towns
Marin county near San Quentin- hill back of old Greenbrae Shake Mill, California. October 6, 1961.
East up O’Farrell from Buchanan, San Francisco
East up O’Farrell from Buchanan, San Francisco, October 16, 1960.
NW corner of Gough & Ellis Sts. San Francisco, August 2, 1959.
beautiful abandoned places and ghost towns
Old Fortmann mansion in Gough at Eddy, after fire – S.E. corner
beautiful abandoned places and ghost towns
Old Fortmann mansion in Gough at Eddy, after fire, San Francisco. July 26, 1959.
4400 Grand Blvd. Chicago. Burned out. November 23, 1958.
Old Movie set Snow’s Canyon SW Utah
Old Movie set in Snow’s Canyon SW Utah near St. George, April 28, 1958.
Ghost towns in Nevada, October 9, 1954.
Open house in Owens Valley below the high White Mtns. – the highest, 14242 ft. is With Mtn. Peak
Skeleton concrete home on US 6 North of Bishop. September 17, 1954.

American ghost towns, Jerome, Arizona.
View of Jerome, Arizona – once a prosperous copper mining town. November 21, 1953.
Leadville, Colo. Gutted store-but padlocked, October 13, 1953.
Ruins at top of hill in east section of Leadville, Colorado. Sunday morning, November 2, 1952.
Central City, Colorado, October 31, 1952.
The upper outskirts of Blackhawk, Colorado, October 31, 1952.
All that remains of the college of Vincennes Founded in 1837, Indiana, November 29, 1951.
Cicero Apt. bldg at 19th and Lombard, boarded up after summer race riots. Cicero, Illinois. October 11, 1951.
Burned-out Tenement, Chicago, March 7, 1951.
Burned-out Tenement, n.e. corner 31st & Indiana Ave., Chicago, March 7, 1951.
Old brick house at 1309 Peoria ( south ), Chicago, March 4, 1949.
Old Otis Home, 1709 Prairie Avenue, Chicago. August 12, 1941
Gold Hill Nevada, 1940.
Ghost towns in Nevada. Gold Hill, 1940.
Ghost towns in Nevada. Gold Hill, July 8, 1940.

Cushman’s photos of New York street scenes is also very fascinating.